Renault Sport took the wraps off its new Renault Mégane R.S. at the 2017 Frankfurt International Motor Show. Since the launch of the original Mégane R.S. back in 2004, the model has carved out a strong reputation in the high-performance C-segment and become widely regarded as a benchmark in its class.
The new Renault Mégane R.S. takes Renault Sport’s unmistakeable hallmarks of agility, efficiency and driving enjoyment a step further thanks to a more finely-tuned chassis performance permitted by 4CONTROL technology complete with four-wheel steering, a first in the segment. There's also an all-new 280hp/390Nm engine and, for the first time, the Renault Mégane R.S. is available with a choice of two transmission options.
Order books for New Renault Mégane R.S. will open in the UK in spring 2018.
“I was involved in New Renault Mégane R.S.’s development and I am proud to be its ambassador. Thanks to the new technologies it packs, including 4CONTROL technology, New Mégane R.S. is even more efficient and nimble than its predecessor. It’s a delight to drive," says Nico Hülkenberg, Renault Sport Racing Formula 1 driver and Renault Sport Cars ambassador.
Patrice Ratti, General Manager of Renault Sport Cars adds: “Performance is the chief reason our customers cite for purchasing the Mégane R.S. and the All-New Mégane R.S. takes the styling and technologies even further to deliver truly exceptional driving enjoyment. Our intention is to see the All-New Mégane R.S., with its chassis and 4CONTROL, remain the C-segment hot hatch benchmark.”
Unrivalled driving pleasure courtesy of Renault Sport’s expertise
- Renault Sport’s acclaimed engineering expertise has taken the performance of New Renault Mégane R.S. to a new level.
- Courtesy of Renault’s 4CONTROL system with four-wheel steering (a standard feature of both the Cup and Sport chassis versions), the car is more nimble through tight turns and it's also more stable cornering at higher speeds, plus the steering is more incisive and the turning circle is even tighter.
- Front and rear hydraulic compression stops derived from the world of motorsport, provide additional damping and eliminate the effects of rebound.
- The PerfoHub independent steering axis front suspension has been completely redesigned to cater for the car's new geometry and is stiffer than before.
- The new Torsen® limited slip differential that comes with the Cup chassis features different lock-up values under acceleration and deceleration for enhanced traction and higher cornering speeds.
- The suspension settings of both versions are specific (springs, dampers, bump stops and anti-roll bar stiffness).
An all-new engine that benefits from synergies within the Alliance
- New Renault Mégane R.S. is equipped with an all-new turbocharged engine equipped with direct fuel injection.
- This 1.8-litre (1,798cc) four-cylinder unit generates 280hp (205kW) at 6,000rpm and 390Nm of torque, positioning it firmly amongst the class’s front-runners in terms of peak torque.
- Maximum torque is available from 2,400rpm up to 5,000rpm.
- To enable this engine to produce this level of power and torque under the bonnet of New Renault Mégane R.S., Renault Sport focused its development work primarily on the cylinder head, air intake and exhaust.
- The cylinder head has been completely redesigned with combined input from the experts at Renault Sport Cars and Renault Sport Racing Formula 1 engineers.
- The revised, higher-capacity dual-intake air filter features improved permeability.
- The Twin Scroll turbo significantly enhances flexibility and response at low revs.
- This engine emits 155g/km of CO2 (a considerable 11% reduction compared with the previous generation Mégane R.S.), while NEDC combined-cycle fuel consumption stands at 6.9 litres per 100km (which equates to approximately 41mpg).
- Boosted performance
- First in the hot hatch segment to receive 4CONTROL four-wheel steering
- All-new 280hp engine with 390Nm of torque
- Now with two transmissions – either 6-speed manual or 6-speed EDC automatic
- Inspired by Renault’s motorsport expertise
- Front and rear hydraulic compression stops to provide additional damping and eliminate the effects of rebound
- Two chassis options – Sport and Cup, with limited slip differential available on Cup chassis
- Completely redesigned PerfoHub independent steering axis front suspension
- More efficient than ever before with lower emissions and improved fuel economy
- R.S. Vision – innovative, high-performance lighting technology
- New R.S. Monitor Expert - real-time performance display can now be connected to a camera and posted directly onto social media
- Trophy version with 300hp and 400Nm of torque will be available by the end of 2018
- On sale at Westover Renault in spring 2018
A choice of two types of transmission
For the first time, New Renault Mégane R.S. offers a choice of transmission for its new 280hp TCe engine - there's a six-speed manual or a six-speed EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch) automatic transmission.
The ratios and gearshift calibration were developed by Renault Sport to combine performance with efficient fuel consumption, while the EDC transmission’s gear shift times have been optimised for greater performance and driving enjoyment. Opt for an EDC transmission and you get paddle-shifters, Multi-Change Down technology and Launch Control.
Upgraded R.S. Monitor
Thanks to its on-board telemetry system, R.S. Monitor, Renault Sport extends the R.S. experience beyond the act of simply driving. The latest version features new graphics and is even more user-friendly, with a choice of two configurations:
- R.S. Monitor displays the driver’s performance in real time on the R-LINK 2 screen.
- R.S. Monitor Expert provides drivers with the opportunity to connect a camera (either an independent camera or their smartphone camera) to film their drive. They can then play back and analyse their run thanks to the incorporation of performance data in the image. They can even share the film on social media.
There is a bespoke website for Renault Sport customers, which allows owners to engage with other members of the Renault Sport community by uploading their recordings, playing them back and comparing runs.
With expressive, sporty lines that point to the model’s performance pedigree and pay tribute to Renault’s longstanding involvement in top-flight motorsport, the new Renault Mégane R.S. stands out from the crowd. Its overall width has been increased and new 18 and 19-inch wheels have been designed to provide a better stance and improved cornering performance.
A new body colour has joined the Mégane R.S. family – Volcanic Orange. Like Renault Sport’s iconic Liquid Yellow, the new finish benefits from special work to combine a unique sheen with a special effect as light reflects off the body.
Performance in all situations
R.S. Vision, Renault Sport’s lighting system
Already a feature of New Clio R.S., Renault’s multi-reflector R.S. Vision LED lighting system was a natural choice for New Renault Mégane R.S. Taking the form of a chequered flag – another nod to the world of motor racing – it is incorporated in the front bumper and frames the F1-style blade. This patented technology, which is exclusive to Renault Sport, delivers high-performance lighting and includes the fog lights, cornering lights and dipped and main beam head lights. R.S. Vision stands out as an unprecedented lighting package in New Renault Mégane R.S.’s segment to ensure a level of visibility worthy of the car’s high-performance pedigree.
Meanwhile, for the first time on Mégane R.S., Renault’s trademark C-Shaped lighting signature incorporates the vehicle’s direction indicators.
A personalised experience courtesy of MULTI-SENSE
Renault’s MULTI-SENSE system and its choice of five driving modes personalise the driving experience by adapting engine response (via the pedal mapping), the firmness of the steering and gear shift speeds.
Comfort mode: helps to minimise fuel consumption during everyday use.
Normal mode: the ideal compromise between comfort, acoustics and performance.
Sport mode: sportier performance, enhanced engine response, a more satisfying engine sound and firmer steering, while the ESC threshold has been raised.
Race Mode: designed for track use and unfettered performance thanks to sportier 4CONTROL settings for enhanced agility, with the ESC turned off.
Perso mode: New Renault MéganeS.’s technologies can be activated or switched off at will to enjoy a truly personalised drive.
The R.S. Drive button provides shortcut access to the Sport and Race modes thanks to a short or long press respectively.Driver aids designed for everyday use
Now a five-door hatchback, New Renault Mégane R.S. is even more suited to everyday use, while losing nothing of its dynamic, sporty character.
A suite of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) allows it to be driven in all types of situation.
Its palette of driving aids – all accessed and activated or deactivated via the R-LINK 2 tablet – provide the following functions:
- Reassure: Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Active Emergency Braking System (AEBS),
- Alert: Lane Departure Warning (LDW); Safe Distance Warning (SDW); Traffic Sign Recognition with Over Speed Prevention (TSR with OSP) and Blind Spot Warning (BSW),
- Assist:Reversing camera; front, rear and side parking sensors; and Easy Park Assist (hands-free parking).
New Renault Mégane R.S. comes with Renault’s high-end R-LINK 2 multimedia system complete with a large 8.7-inch (22cm)TFT display.
If you'd like to find out more, please contact Westover Renault's teams in Poole or Salisbury.